Dreams vs. Reality

Much of the time what we envision to be true and the truth of what is, doesn't jive.  There is something to be said for optimism, don't get me wrong, but sometimes we just have to see things as they are and humbly submit to honesty.  Take my wildflower garden for example.

This is the image I visualized as I spread my seeds this spring, tilling the soil, laboring and watering and hoping that they would grow into a magnificent spectacle of beauty and grace sometime later this summer.  Or maybe by fall.  I forget how long things take sometimes.

North Carolina Wildflower Field

 

But this (see below) is the reality of my wonderous wildflower garden.  Now I realized that I may need to allow a few years to really get things established, I'm willing to do what it takes, and actually, I am pretty happy with the way things turned out, but still, I really, secretly I guess, was hoping for more.  So much more.

Ronda's Wildflower Field

Now if you look really closely you can see several blooms scattered throughout my mini meadow.  That's pretty, I think.  But with the recent rains and stormy weather, I noticed many of the blooms that were there have withered away, leaving behind nothing but a slender stalk and a few lingering leaves.  I do hope to collect seeds from this garden, saving them to plant next spring when I will labor and hope for a beautiful dream come true once again.

But really, I'm not complaining.  I didn't put that much work into the whole thing except for turning over some soil and planting some seeds, so anything is better than nothing, but the point is, I was hoping for more.  

So, do I need to learn to adjust my expectations?  Set my goals a little lower?  (You know that old story again.)  Or do I need to visualize better?  Do I need to expect more?  Sometimes I think that might be the answer.  It's the opposite of what you think you need to do, what you really need to do.  What would happen if I did just 1% more work?  It might not hurt. 

You know, they say our thoughts create our reality.  They say we create our realities.  So, I for one am going to be very careful about what I think, regarding flowers and art and life.  I'm going to keep working for the realities that match my dream.  

Just 1% more each day.  That's the price I agree to pay.  I think it will all add up to a really beautiful life.  As you think so shall you be.


Comments

Popular Posts