Episode 66

Mission accomplished!  I've finished Dracula and I am feeling really great about that.  I celebrated with a little wine last night.  Trust me, this whole Dracula thing, it's not a weird vampire fetish or anything, it's just part of a theme.  It was a fun, creepy thing to read in the spirit of the season.  It makes me smile.  I like to smile.

So, my literary journey to Transylvania is complete, just in time to celebrate Halloween!  And as of now,  our terrestrial itinerary still puts us in Nevada City for the spookfest that evening.  Apparently it's quite the event here.

They say it's like a scene out of the movies, like Hocus Pocus, right?  Historic downtown streets are blocked off so little children can run safely from spooky house to spooky house trick-or-treating. 

And I guess the whole town really gets into it.  As we've walked around downtown Nevada City this week we have see the houses are already decorated but, legend has it, on Halloween night the haunting really come to life.  Lights, fog, creaks and groans.  One house apparently oozes blood from its windows.

The townspeople seem pretty proud of this tradition.  I imagine more than a few are actually practicing witches.  One vehicle pulling out of a parking lot the other day had a bumper sticker that said "Powered by Witchcraft", there are posters in shop windows advertising tarot readings and seances and such.

I don't know if this is in the spirit of the season or if this is an indication of just how things are in Nevada City.  At breakfast in town today at TJ's Roadhouse,  an older gentleman came over to our table and asked if we wanted to see his Halloween pictures.  He was pulling up pictures on his phone and seemed pretty disappointed that nobody at our table was jumping at his invitation but he kept coming anyway.  I looked at his pictures.  Creepy masks mostly.  Great job at the gore.  Then he left.  Odd, but ok.  

People are really friendly here.  I'm not used to that.  I think I feel a lot of good energy around here, not like creepy Ogden.  Maybe I am just in the spirit, feeling the spirit, but I feel pretty good about it all.  Maybe it's just the altitude. Maybe it's just the moon.

I feel of a kindred spirit as I finished reading about the world's most famous Draco.  I feel I understand their fascination with tarot and metaphysical mystery.  They probably love Van Helsing, unless of course they've been bitten.  That's a possibility.

We're heading to dinner at some friends' this evening.  It's been another beautiful day.  Very relaxing.  It's been a long time since I have been afforded so much relaxation. 

And I stumbled across this podcast this afternoon and beings that I have not started my next book yet, I spent some time listening to it.  Beings that it addressed the Draco and such, I thought it kinda tied into my theme of this post.  Beings that I thought a lot of what he was saying that was pretty spot on in my opinion, I just thought I'd share.


Full disclosure though, I had to get on the road to go to our dinner and I haven't finished it yet. I'm about 33 minutes in.  Sorry if anything post 33 goes off the rails.
I hope you enjoy.

Enjoy those eclipse energies tonight!

Comments

Popular Posts