Happy Birthday Abe!

Happy Birthday Abe!

Remembering Abraham Lincoln, the 16th president of our great nation, born on this day in 1809.

Abraham Lincoln was an American statesman and lawyer who served as the 16th President of the United States from March 1861 until his assassination in April 1865. Lincoln led the United States through its Civil War—its bloodiest war and perhaps its greatest moral, constitutional, and political crisis. In doing so, he preserved the Union, paved the way for the abolition of slavery, strengthened the federal government, and modernized the economy. ( from Wikipedia)


I have created this collage as part of my Reverence and Power series. I was fascinated by Lincoln and loved reading stories and biographies about him when I was growing up. Living in Illinois, the Land of Lincoln might have had something to do with that. I loved visiting Springfield and New Salem where Lincoln lived before becoming our president. He was an inspiration to me in a very simple 10 year old growing up in a log cabin kind of way. Today I can appreciate different qualities and attributes that I may not have comprehended back in 1977. One of those qualities being his sense of humor another, his wisdom.


Some quotes attributed to Abe Lincoln 

“Folks are usually about as happy as they make their minds up to be.”

“Whatever you are, be a good one.”

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.”

“Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves”

“When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion.”

“I am a slow walker, but I never walk back.”

“There are no bad pictures; that's just how your face looks sometimes.”

“When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.


I hope you all have enjoyed this February 12th. As you relax and celebrate your day, give a toast to Abe and give thanks for the freedoms that we enjoy in this great country.

And remember - "The best way to predict your future is to create it.” (Abraham Lincoln)


Thankfully,


Ronda



















Comments

Popular Posts